Station Bois Blanc,
George S. Cleary was appointed keeper on 29 OCT 1890 and was still serving in 1915.
Coast Guard Station Bois Blanc is located at Lake Huron in Mackinac County, Michigan. It was established pursuant to an Act of Congress, approved June 19, 1886. Land had been acquired in 1883. Additional ground was conveyed to the station in 1887 and 1888.The buildings of the station were erected in 1890 and rebuilt in 1920. The records indicate that land for a lighthouse in Bois Blanc had been conveyed in 1827 already.
All the land, except for 0.53 acres, was returned to the public domain on June 25, 1956.
We will try and make a trip to the island in 2003 to obtain any pictures of the buildings if they are still in existence.
Current photographs of the station are below are provided compliments of Terry Pepper until we can do a site visit ourselves. Terry's web site address is on our home page and links page.
Bois Blanc crew in front of a local establishment.
Bois Blanc crew on board a sunken vessel.
Bois Blanc pier and surrounding houses.
Bois Blanc boathouse located in front of the station house.
Bois Blanc boat and station house.
Breaches buoy drill in progress at Bois Blanc.
Boathouse on pier with signal flags flying.